1. Spend your morning outdoors strolling through Cannon River Wilderness Area. Five miles south of Northfield along Hwy 3, this park stretches across 850 acres and nearly 14 miles of wooded river valley. If features a self-guided nature trail and easy access to the Cannon River for your canoe or kayak, or arrange for a kayak rental from our local Outfitter www.thegearresource.com
2. It’s time to eat! Let’s get lunch at Tandem Bagels. Featuring a menu with recipes using fresh, seasonal, local and organic ingredient and made-from-scratch bagels and baked goods.
3. Start your afternoon learning about the unique history of Northfield. At the Northfield Historical Society, your group will experience life in the 1800s and learn of the failed bank robbery attempt by the James-Younger Gang. This small museum will not disappoint! There is always something new and different to see and experience!
4. Visit Northfield Olive Oil & Vinegars store. This one of a kind shop will tantalize your taste buds and ignite and get you excited about your next culinary experience! Store staff will lead you in a tasting session and show you how to expertly pair your olive oils and vinegars to make excellent meals! No cooking experience necessary!
5. Time of a snack! Enjoy a sweet treat from CakeWalk! Try their famous Black Velvet Cupcake or one of them many others to choose from (and it’s not an easy choice!) This bakery specializes in unique dessert and cake offerings, using only the finest ingredients!
6. Check into one of Northfield’s lodging facilities. Whether you’re looking for a bed & breakfast or traditional hotel, we’ve got a room waiting for you!
7. Dinner at The Ole Store Restaurant, located near St. Olaf College. This charming neighborhood restaurant boasts an upscale, casual, contemporary menu. Their seasonal menus are designed to showcase local ingredients, fresh produce and the finest meats.
8. Enjoy a night cap Loon Liquors. Enjoy refreshments in a cozy environment. The cocktail room has something for everyone, featuring a wide variety of craft cocktails – all made in-house using fresh organic ingredients.
1. Start your morning at Brick Oven Bakery for delicious handcrafted breads. Choose from a variety of breads, rolls, sticky buns, scones and cookies. Don’t forget the coffee!
2. Time to shop, stroll and peruse through Northfield’s Historic Downtown. The winner of Southern Minnesota Magazine’s “Best Downtown” for 2014 and 2015 has a specialty store that will surely satisfy! The downtown features a wide array of unique of shops including clothing, antique, pet, art, kitchen, gift and many more!
3. Lunch at the Hideaway Coffeehouse and Wine bar. Home to delicious, fresh food and slow roasted coffees. During the daytime, you will experience the hustle and bustle of the townies, college students, and many visitors. At night, relax with softer lighting, jazz music and a great glass of wine or craft beer and a made to order appetizer, sandwich or dessert. This location was featured in the movie “Love Always, Santa” which came out in winter 2016!
4. Continue the day with a Historic Sites and Points of Interest Tour. Many of the buildings of Northfield’s downtown and nearby residential area look as they did when built over a century ago, with windows and cornices embellished with 19th-centure architectural detail. Stop in the Northfield Historical Society or Northfield Area Chamber of Commerce for a tour brochure.